Most time spent in the bathroom involves getting ready for work and other activities—but it doesn’t have to be that way! Instead of treating the bathroom as a purely functional room, there’s no reason why it can’t be more than that. You don’t have to be a decorating guru to explore master bathroom design ideas to inspire you, either—we’ve got you covered.
With a few simple changes—or some major alterations if you prefer, you can turn your master bath into a luxury oasis. Check out our contemporary master bathroom ideas to help you get started with your bathroom transformation.
Plumbing Upgrades that Add Luxury and Comfort
Nothing says bathroom luxury like a deep soaking tub, spa tub, or a big walk-in shower. With these master bathroom ideas, you can turn a humble bath or shower into a decadent spa-like experience.
1. Install Double Sinks
Do you and your partner often get in each other’s way when getting ready for the day? Installing double sinks will make the process easier and more convenient. Consider choosing vessel sinks for an added touch of style.
When sharing a primary bathroom, you’ll both have your own space for toiletries, grooming appliances, cosmetics, and any other items you need to have to hand. When you each have your own bathroom vanity, you won’t be dancing around each other while trying to get some mirror time.
Add to those double sinks a double vanity, dual vanity mirrors, for even more convenience!
2. Add a Walk-in Shower
Transcend an old-style shower stall and create the perfect shower contemporary experience with a roomy walk-in that offers plenty of space. Then, upgrade to its fullest potential by installing multiple showerheads arranged at different heights. Add a shower bench for convenient seating. Another bonus is that a walk-in shower can help a smaller bathroom feel more spacious because there’s no enclosed shower unit to divide the space.
If you prefer to have an enclosed shower, you can still create a light and airy feel with a sleek glass-paneled shower enclosure. These glass enclosures have beautiful, contemporary clean lines.
Additionally, walk-in showers also offer efficiency when you opt for built-in shower niches that allow you to move some of your daily essentials from the sink.
3. Choose a Bathtub Upgrade
Few experiences feel more luxurious than a few hours at a spa, and a hot tub or spa tub is a fantastic way to incorporate that luxury into your home. Alternatively, a deep soaker tub can fit the bill just as well. When you’re neck-deep in hot steamy water, with your favorite bubble bath or bath bomb, all your cares just melt away!
If space is at a premium, you can still have your tub and soak in it too. When there’s not enough room for a full-size tub, many modern bathrooms have sit-in tubs instead. These have a shorter square-shaped footprint rather than the traditional long tub shape.
4. Steam Away in a Sauna
Another way to bring the luxury of a home spa into your bathroom is with a steam shower, or a combination sauna and shower. While this kind of addition can make the renovation more complicated, it’s definitely worthwhile if you’d love to incorporate a daily sauna session into your routine!
5. Toilet Upgrades and Bidets
The toilet gets neglected during many primary bathroom renovations. While it’s an essential part of the bathroom, it’s a utilitarian bathroom fixture that doesn’t add much in the way of comfort or style. As a result, it’s often overlooked when bathroom design ideas for a fresh master bathroom are planned.
However, that’s not as true as it used to be, as toilet upgrades like modern-style designs with smart features and the bidet have become increasingly popular. Using a bidet is typically cleaner, more hygienic, and gentler on your skin. Plus, it lets you reduce the amount of toilet paper you use.
All of these benefits make the bidet an excellent option for upgrading your master bathroom. You can opt for a full standalone bidet or choose a bidet toilet that combines both fixtures in one. There are even luxury electric bidets with heated seats, hot water, and hands-free flushing!
Fixtures, Color, Furnishings, and More
Upgrading your bathroom doesn’t necessarily have to involve a new tub, bidet, or sauna. There are many other ways to add comfort to your bathroom. These master bathroom ideas include plumbing fixtures, decorative medicine cabinets, vanity lighting, furnishings, and décor.
With these minor upgrades, you can add a little luxury to your master bathroom without lengthy master bathroom remodeling.
6. Upgrade Plumbing Fixtures
- When a bathtub upgrade isn’t on the table, new plumbing fixtures are a great alternative that works for any budget and bathroom.
- Chrome fits most décor styles, but for a more unusual choice, brass is a perfect option. You can go for shiny polished brass fixtures or choose brushed brass for a matte look.
- Install a massaging showerhead to wash away muscle tension and relieve stress.
- Alternatively, a rainfall-style shower head can provide a wonderfully soothing shower experience. Some even come with massage spray options, along with LED illumination and precise down-to-the-degree temperature control.
- If space is at a premium in your master bathroom, choose fixtures that reduce clutter. For instance, go for a wall-mounted vanity and overhead cabinets instead of mounting them on the floor. Choose wall-mounted faucets and install a rainfall showerhead on the ceiling.
7. Add Luxury Décor Touches
- Customize your bathroom floors and wall tile. Changing up your floor tile is an uncomplicated way to change the look and feel of your master bathroom. There are abundant options to choose from, ranging from eye-catching classic white tile to subway tile that matches your color palette. Mosaic tile or a more muted gray and off-white floor tile shades have become more populate recently as well.
- Explore lighting ideas. Consider recessed lighting, or, for an opulent feel, choose pendant lights or wall sconces rather than the plain fixtures that are typical in a primary bathroom or guest bathroom.
- Install a dimmer switch for your bathroom lights, then turn down the lights and add candles when you want to create a calming atmosphere.
- Use aromatherapy to create your dream bathroom atmosphere. For instance, use citrus scents to create a light and airy feel or sandalwood for smoky sensuality.
- Pick out a bath tray to load up with items you want to have at hand while enjoying a soak. Whether that’s a candle and a glass of your favorite wine, a book, or even a snack or two, a bath tray can make a simple bath feel like a decadent pleasure.
- Use trays to organize items on your bathroom vanity. Grouping things on a tray makes them look intentional.
- Decant liquid soap, mouthwash, and lotion into matching dispensers that complement your bathroom color palette.
- Add some seating by placing a soft, comfortable chair in an unused corner. Seating does double-duty by adding a luxurious-looking décor touch while providing some additional utility to your master bathroom.
Turn Your Master Bathroom Into a Tranquil Oasis, and Enjoy the Calming Benefits
By implementing one or two new master bathroom ideas, you can transform your bathroom into a space that offers rest, relaxation, and pampering, whenever you need it. Our CW Service Pros have lots of experience incorporating clients’ design ideas into their homes. We also have the expertise to install fixtures expertly and efficiently. When you’re ready to create a master bathroom oasis, contact us!